Chili Cook OffName: Chili Cook OffDate: November 3, 2018Time: 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM PDTWebsite: http://www.brawleychamber.comRegistration: Sorry, public registration for this event has been closed.Event Description:USE THE "REGISTER NOW" BUTTON ABOVE TO:
Buy Tasting Bracelets
Walk-In Registration Only
For Cook-off participant application click here
For Vendor participant application click here
Come out and join us with your Spurs and spoons and enjoy great tasting chili, music, food, and fun. Competing teams will battle for bragging right and the grand prize of a thousand dollars.
NO ENTRIES ACCEPTED AFTER OCTOBER 5, 2018.
Rules & Regulations
1. True chili is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats cooked with chili peppers, various other spices, and other ingredients with the exception of items such as beans or spaghetti, which are forbidden.
2. As per Health Department rules and regulations, teams may not chop, dice, and slice ingredients prior to the competition. (Canned or bottled ingredients are not included in this rule, therefore
allowed). Teams may not pre-cook any ingredients prior to the event. All chili must be cooked at the event site; there are no exceptions to this rule. Any violation of this rule will be cause for disqualification from the competition
3. Booth set up may begin at 4 am. The cooking period will be approximately 3 hours. No team will be permitted to start cooking prior to 6:00 am. Between the hours of 9:30 and 10:30 am, you will be asked to submit approximately 20 ounces of your chili to be used in the official judging.
4. Each team will be provided with a pre-assigned spot which will be numbered with that team’s official event identification number. Each team will supply all of their own supplies and equipment needed to prepare and serve their chili. This includes: 3 oz Styrofoam cups, spoons, and napkins which will be used to serve your chili to the public. Contestants are asked to keep their area clean at all times.
5. Each contestant must cook a minimum of three gallons of chili. Due to the large turn out, we ask that you prepare as much as you feel comfortable with. You may cook two separate pots of chili to ensure that you have enough for the judges and to serve to the public. (Both pots of chili must cooked that morning at the event.)
6. Each contestant will submit a copy of their chili recipe, and select a chili pick-up time when the chili runners come by. This is when your chili is to be ready for pick-up for the judges’ tasting.
7. Because of the nature of this event and the associated rules and regulations, alcoholic beverages will not be allowed to be transported into the event site. The City of Brawley has made it available to have beer for sale to those who wish to purchase it from an authorized vendor. Contestants who bring alcoholic beverages into the event site will be disqualified from competition.
8. A panel of judges will be at the event site and determine their favorite choice by majority vote. They will be asked to consider the following:
A. Good flavoring and chili pepper tastes (not too hot or too mild).
B. The texture of the meat (not too tough or too mushy).
C. Consistency (not too thick or too thin).
D. The blend of the spices and how well they have permeated the meat.
E. Aroma - personal preference.
F. Color is not a material factor in determining the winners.
9. All chili cook-off contestants wishing to sell merchandise from their booths must complete a
Vendors Reservation Form. They will be required to follow all the rules for vendors.
10. Contestants may not use any incentive or other forms of promotion to influence “People’s Choice
Ballots” from the public, including contestants who are also vendors at the Chili Cook-Off.
Violation of this rule will be cause for disqualification from the competition.
11. No hay bales or livestock will be allowed!
12. Due to ABC licensing Teams may not bring their own alcohol for consumption.
Violation will result in disqualification.
THE JUDGES’ DECISION WILL BE FINAL!
- The Latest
- Business Resources
- Residents & Visitors
- Political Action